In 2023, slicked back hair is still a trendy and classic hairstyle for men. The style originated in the 1950s and has gone through various modern-day variations, but the slicked back hair still exudes sophistication and class.
The hairstyle is often associated with the iconic “Greaser” look, and it has remained a popular choice for both casual and formal occasions. In this article, we’ll go over the steps on how to train hair to slick back, including the best products to use and tips for maintaining the style.
Check out youtube video for “How To Train Your Hair To Slick Back & Stay Up All Day Long”! Get ready to perfect your hair grooming skills and impress everyone with your new slick hairstyle.
Trust us, this video is worth watching!
Understanding your Hair Texture
Before training your hair to slick back, it is important to understand your hair texture. Slick back hair works best for hair that is straight or slightly wavy.
Coarser or curly hair may require more product and effort to achieve the desired look.
Thick hair is ideal for slick back hairstyles as it adds volume and structure. However, those with thin hair may need to use more product to create the illusion of thickness.
The length of your hair also matters. Shorter hair is easier to style, but longer hair can achieve a sleeker and more dramatic effect.
In summary, hair texture, thickness, and length all play a role in achieving the perfect slick back hairstyle.
Preparation is Key
Before slicking back your hair, it is important to prep it properly. Begin by washing your hair to ensure that it is clean and free from any styling products.
Use a shampoo and conditioner that suits your hair type and avoid harsh chemicals that can strip your hair of natural oils.
Once you have washed your hair, dry it thoroughly with a towel. Avoid using a hairdryer at this stage as it can damage your hair.
If you must use a hairdryer, keep it on a low heat setting and hold it at least 6 inches away from your hair.
It is also essential to trim your hair regularly to maintain its shape and remove any split ends. When selecting a comb, opt for a fine-tooth comb that will allow you to create neat lines and partings.
To increase volume, use a round brush and blow-dry your hair in an upward motion.
Lastly, choosing the right pomade is crucial to achieve the perfect slick back. Choose a product with a strong hold that will keep your hair in place without making it look greasy.
You can also use a hair spray to set your style in place.
Products that help achieve a slick back hairstyle
When looking to achieve a well-styled slicked-back hairstyle, there are various hair products that can be used. The following are the best hair products for achieving a slicked-back hairstyle:
- Hair Wax: This product provides a matte finish and is perfect for those with fine to medium hair. It is ideal for achieving a natural look without any shine. Hair wax provides a soft hold and can be used throughout the day.
- Pomade: This product provides a shiny finish and is perfect for those with thick or coarse hair. Pomade provides a strong hold and can be used to style more complicated hairstyles. However, it can be difficult to wash out and can leave a residue on the hair.
- Hair Spray: This product is perfect for those looking for a strong hold that lasts the whole day. Hair spray can be used to add volume and texture to the hair. However, it can make the hair feel stiff and crunchy.
- Gel: This product provides a strong hold and is ideal for those with curly hair. Gel can be used to create structured styles that stay in place throughout the day. However, it can make the hair feel stiff and crunchy, and may not be suitable for those with fine or thin hair.
When using any of these products, it is important to use them effectively. Hair products should be applied to clean, towel-dried hair.
Apply the product starting at the roots and work your way to the tips. Comb the hair back, part it centrally down the back of the head, and slick it back around the sides.
For extra hold, blow-dry your hair while styling it.
Techniques to Train your Hair to Slick Back
If you want to achieve the slicked-back hair look, it is essential to train your hair. Here are some techniques that can help you:
- Wet brushing technique: Dampen your hair with water and use a flat brush to brush your hair back. This technique will help your hair get used to the backward position.
- Blow-drying technique: Use a blow dryer to dry your hair while brushing it backward with a comb. This technique adds volume to thin hair and helps it to stay in place.
- The comb and hairpin technique: Use a comb to create a side part and slick your hair backward with your fingers. Use hairpins to secure the hair in place while it dries overnight.
- The natural slick back technique: Over time, your hair will naturally start to slick back when you brush it frequently toward the back of the head. This technique requires patience and consistency.
When training your hair to slick back, it is important to be patient since it can take some time for your hair to get used to this position. To get the best results, use a high-quality pomade or gel to help your hair stay in place.
If you have long hair, consider scheduling regular trims to remove split ends and keep your hair looking healthy. With consistent hair training and grooming, you can achieve the perfect slicked-back hairstyle.
Slick Back Haircuts for Men
If you want to achieve a slick back hairstyle, here are some haircuts you can try:
- The classic undercut, which has short sides and a longer top that can be slicked back
- The side part, which involves a deep part on one side of the head and slicked back hair on the other side
- The pompadour, which features a voluminous top that is styled upwards and backwards
- The fade haircut, which has a gradual taper on the sides and back, creating a contrast with the slicked back top
How to Slick Back Hair with Curly Hair
For people with curly hair, achieving a slick back hairstyle can be a bit challenging compared to straight hair. However, it’s still achievable by following these tips:
Choose the right product
Opt for a lightweight product like paste or cream. This will give you the right amount of control without weighing down your curls.
Avoid using heavy products that can make your hair look greasy and flat.
Prep your hair
Wash your hair and condition it using a moisturizing product to keep your curls hydrated. Use a wide-tooth comb to detangle your hair, and towel dry it gently.
Apply a heat protectant before using any styling tools.
Train your hair
To slick back curly hair, start training it to lie backward over time by using accessories. Use a headband or scarf to hold your hair backward for a few minutes every day.
You can also braid your hair before sleeping to achieve the desired shape.
Slick back the hair
Use a dime-sized amount of product and rub it between your palms. Gently apply it to your hair, starting at the front and going backward.
Use your fingers to shape the hair, and if needed, use a comb to smooth out any bumps. Avoid over-styling your curls, as this can cause them to lose their natural texture.
By following these tips, you’ll be able to achieve a slick back hairstyle that looks great with your curly hair.
Tips and tricks for perfecting a slick back hairstyle
When it comes to creating the perfect slick back hairstyle, there are a few tips and tricks that can help you achieve the look you want:
How to maintain a slick back throughout the day
One common issue with a slick back hairstyle is that it can lose its shape throughout the day. To keep your slick back looking its best, start with clean, dry hair, and apply a high-quality pomade evenly throughout.
Use a comb to slick your hair back, and adjust the style as needed throughout the day with a small amount of water or additional product.
How to avoid common mistakes
Some common mistakes when creating a slick back hairstyle include using too much product, starting with wet hair, or combing the hair too aggressively. To avoid these issues, start with a small amount of product and work your way up as needed, blow-dry your hair before applying product, and use a soft touch when combing your hair back.
Tips to enhance the slick back look
If you want to take your slick back hairstyle to the next level, there are a few tips to keep in mind. For example, consider adding a temple fade or other structured element to give your hair more shape.
You can also experiment with different types of pomade or other styling products to find the one that works best for your hair type and desired style.
In conclusion, training your hair to slick back requires patience and consistent styling using the right products and techniques. Understanding your hair texture and using lightweight products like pastes will help you achieve the perfect style.
Whether you have curly, wavy, thin, or thick hair, choosing the right comb can make a significant difference in the outcome of your style. With the right preparation and styling, you too can rock the classic and timeless slick back hairstyle.
- How to Slick Back Short Hair – WikiHow
- 45 Slick Back Haircuts – Men’s Hairstyles Now
- The Best Guide to Men’s Slicked Back Hair – FashionBeans