Red is such a bold color which makes it so hard to pull off as an outfit. When wearing one, you definitely need to pair it correctly, or you can risk looking like a tomato.
Some men are hesitant to wear red because it is such a bold color. And there’s a good chance you won’t have much claret in your closet, not because it’s unattractive, but because it’s a bold hue. However, you’ll be surprised at how versatile red clothing can be in a man’s wardrobe.
It’s always a good idea to think twice about wearing red as it always stands out when worn. It also doesn’t always go well with other colors, so it is only necessary to think about how and when you bring it out. That’s why we are here to help you find the perfect color pants and other outfit ensembles for your red shirt. Let’s go!
Colors That Match with Red
When matching colors, keep in mind that contrast is crucial. The only hard and fast rule is to avoid wearing clothing that matches your skin tone too closely. Avoid lighter shirts like white, beige, pastels, and yellow if you have a light or pale complexion. You’ll be washed out if you wear these colors. Darker colors, such as browns, dark reds, and violets, should be used.
So, what colors work best with red?
- Sharkskin Gray
The intensity of red should be matched with depth. That is why neutral colors, navy, and darker shades are the best options. You can also opt to stay away from light, pastel colors.
Note: The pattern is the next thing you should look for when purchasing red shirts. There is a plethora of different patterns to choose from, just like any other color shirt.
Red Shirt Outfit Ideas for Men
A red shirt can be styled in a variety of ways. And, while you may believe that wearing a red shirt is a risky style choice, it isn’t if you do it correctly. So, here are a few examples of how to wear a red shirt excellently.
Casual or Laid-back Looks
- You can quickly put together a laid-back ensemble with an apparent fashion twist by wearing a red floral short sleeve shirt and navy shorts. This outfit can be finished off with a pair of white print leather low-top sneakers to give it a more refined feel.
- You can easily dress in a red shirt, white tank, and light blue skinny jeans when the setting allows for casual street styling. And to instantly up the wow factor of this look, pair it with a pair of beige suede Chelsea boots.
- A red polo and a gray check suit are an excellent combination for a casually neat look. A pair of white canvas low-top sneakers would look fantastic.
- If you’re looking for a casual wardrobe that meets and exceeds style standards, a red plaid long sleeve, white t-shirt, and brown shorts is one for you. A pair of dark brown suede casual boots will add a touch of refinement to an otherwise casual ensemble.
- Suppose you want to add some effortless dapperness to your menswear collection. In that case, these ensembles are a must-have—pair beige denim shorts with a red vertical striped short sleeve shirt. Add black canvas low-top sneakers to the mix for a more elegant look.
- You can pull off a street-style outfit that makes a stylish statement with just a few ensembles. A long-sleeve red t-shirt and light blue ripped skinny jeans are all you’ll ever need. Finish off your outfit with a pair of brown leather brogue boots to add a touch of dressiness.
- A red crew neck tee and white chinos are the ideal foundation for a variety of dapper ensembles. Are you stumped as to how to complete this ensemble? To dress it up, you can wear purple canvas high-top sneakers.
- The whole outfit of a brown blazer, red dress-down shirt, and brown houndstooth dress pants is the epitome of timeless elegance. You can complete your look with a pair of brown leather loafers for a more sophisticated look.
- We simply love how a navy double-breasted blazer, red shirt, and beige dress pants instantly make a man appear polished and sophisticated. Wear beige suede brogues to amp up the style factor of your ensemble.
- When you don’t have time to plan an outfit, a red t-shirt, navy blazer, and grey dress pants are the kind of style you need. Throw a pair of white leather derby shoes to this ensemble for added style.
- You’ll be surprised at how simple it is for any gentleman to pull off Just a charcoal suit and a red floral short-sleeve shirt. You can also add a burgundy leather tassel loafer to this ensemble for a refined touch.
- For a stylish semi-formal look, pair a red long sleeve shirt with white chinos. Wear tobacco suede tassel loafers to take this look to the next level.
- The combination of a red polo, brown plaid blazer, and navy dress pants exemplifies how a simple outfit can still be highly stylish. Consider introducing a pair of dark brown leather tassel loafers to the mix to bring out your elegant side.
- A red long-sleeve shirt, a brown shirt jacket, and navy jeans should all be on your list of must-haves for elegant looks. You can be a little more daring and throw in a pair of dark brown leather loafers on the shoe front.
The Bottom Line
Whether it’s a flash of red on a sock or a jacket, red is a statement color. Red can be toned down with burgundy or even a dusky pink, but at its most vibrant, it is the polar opposite of a neutral. But it doesn’t mean that you’ll have to ignore that red shirt that has been sitting in your closet for years now. You can always wear it, just know how to style it, or better yet, follow our outfit suggestions above.
READ ALSO: Is it Bad to Wear Pink as a Guy?