If there is one color of pants that are neglected, underused, or consciously avoided in your wardrobe, that would be the color plum. Although it looks stunning and regal, many guys still choose to look past it and wear a basic color instead. But once worn with the right shirt color or styled with other fashion ensembles, plum could be your next favorite pants color.
Plum is a purple color with a brownish-gray tinge or a reddish-purple, which is a close representation of the plum fruit’s average color. Plums come in a variety of colors, ranging from almost black to quite bright. With its mix of blue and red, plum is considered a cool and warm color. It is often referred to as a dignified color that is appropriate for a variety of formal occasions.
Colors That Match with Plum
Plum is a rich color that has become popular in formal weddings, especially when paired with light and medium gray shades. This sophisticated color palette is appropriate for any formal event.
Many of the rules for wearing plum apply to wearing any bright or unusual color. The most important rule to remember when wearing purple is to make the color the main focus of your ensemble. The color plum attracts attention and should be the only bright item in an outfit to achieve a more flattering effect. So, to begin, such colors should be paired with muted hues that contrast.
Your plum pants can be paired with the following colors:
- Olive Green
- Yellowish or Bluish Green
- Medium Gray
Note: To keep your outfit from being too dark, mix the darker shade of plum with complementary lilac or light violet to make it monochromatic. Bright turquoise can also work well with this color.
Plum Pants Outfit Ideas for Men
Unlike the other purple hues, plum pants are way easier to pair with shirts and shoes. But still, you need to style it the right way, or else people will stare at you, but not because of a good reason.
That is why we have listed some outfit ideas, from casual to formal, just for you.
Casual Outfits for Men
- A white crew-neck shirt, tan shirt jacket, and plum chinos are a menswear combination that every style-conscious man should own. You can finish the look with white canvas high-top sneakers for a more sophisticated look.
- If you’re a fan of off-duty looks, the combination of a grey V-neck sweater and plum pants will be the best for you. Try wearing a pair of dark brown leather loafers to stay true to the classic look.
- A white long sleeve shirt and plum pants are an excellent combination for an off-duty but seriously stylish look. A pair of burgundy suede tassel loafers will instantly elevate any ensemble’s style factor, including this one.
- Try pairing a dark green hoodie with plum pants for a city casual yet dapper look. Complete this look with a pair of white athletic shoes if you want to easily dress up this ensemble with extra coolness.
- Wear a navy crew-neck t-shirt and dark plum pants for a relaxed look. Let’s step it up a notch and throw in a pair of navy and white canvas low-top sneakers.
- With a blue denim jacket, gray V-neck sweater, and plum pants, you’ll indeed look comfortable yet stylish. Slip-on a pair of white low-top sneakers to add a touch of class to your ensemble.
Formal Ensemble for Men
- Navy dress shirts and plum slacks are the foundation for a plethora of dapper looks. To completely change up the look, add a pair of black leather tassel loafers to the mix.
- To look sophisticated but (not too) formal, wear a light blue blazer with a navy Henley shirt and plum pants. Throw a pair of brown leather loafers to this outfit idea to shake things up.
- A refined ensemble that every smart man should have in his sartorial collection is a white blazer, white dress shirt, and plum pants. Finish with white and black leather oxford shoes to make this look more polished.
- A charcoal blazer and dark plum pants are an outfit that shows why such smart menswear items are well worth the investment. If you want to spruce up your look with shoes effortlessly, a pair of black leather tassel loafers will surely do the trick.
- A navy wool blazer, beige Henley sweater, and purple pants combination offer a look of masculine elegance and versatility. A pair of brown leather low-top sneakers will instantly elevate the elegance of any ensemble.
High-Fashion Outfit Style
- If you want to pull off a high-fashion yet smart look, try matching an aquamarine shirt jacket with plum dress pants. To add a touch of class to your ensemble, then you can wear a pair of burgundy leather loafers as well.
- The combination of a blue-print short sleeve shirt and plum pants is ideal for specific dinners. And if you’re looking for a way to complete this ensemble, finish it off with a pair of multicolored athletic shoes to add a pop of color.
- For a sleek and refined menswear look, pair an orange blazer with a light violet dress shirt and plum pants. Add tobacco leather oxford shoes to your look for a more elegant spin, and use some hot pink socks for a high-fashion vibe.
- Consider pairing a hot pink long sleeve shirt with plum pants for a modern take on comfort dressing. Complete the look with brown leather Chelsea boots if you want to amp up the look with just one piece.
- A sharp and sophisticated look can be achieved by wearing an orange suede blazer with a burgundy corduroy waistcoat, blue chambray dress shirt, and dark plum pants. To add a touch of refinement, pair this outfit with black leather Chelsea boots.
The Bottom Line
Plum has been overlooked for a long time, but it is now reigning supreme in the fashion world. It is certainly deserving of attention, as it instantly glams up any outfit. Plum pants are a must-have for any wardrobe. Given the plethora of options available today, deciding what to wear with purple pants can be difficult. But we hope that our outfit suggestions above will help you rock your plum pants.
READ ALSO: What Color Pants Fits with a Red Shirt?